Self-Enrollment in Groups
Self-enrollment allows students to enroll in groups on their own. Use this option when you want students to choose their own group members or to be a part of a group on a topic that interests them.
Students can self-enroll in groups by clicking the Choose Group link beside the name of the group category. A link displays at the top of the user’s Groups page when self-enrollment is available. If a group is full, the Members column displays the total number of group members in red with "(Full)" beside it. If a student wants to leave a group that they self-enrolled in before the date specified by the Set Self Enrollment Expiry Date option (if selected), on the My Groups page, students can click Leave Group.
Clicking the capacity marker or the total listed in the Members column opens the Group Members pop-up, which contains a list of current group members. You cannot click empty groups.
- On the Manage Groups page, click New Category.
- Enter a Category Name and Description.
- Select one of the following options from the Enrollment Typedrop-down list:
- Groups of # - Self Enrollment
- # of Groups - Self Enrollment
- # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrollment
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, enter the Number of Groups to create, the Number of Users per group, or both.
- In Advanced Properties, set the Self Enrollment Expiry Date and auto enrollment options:
- Create work areas by selecting Set up discussion areas, Set up lockers, and Set up assignment submission folders.
- Click Save. You will then set up any workspaces. Once you have set up workspaces, you will return to the category to save the category. Please see “Create Group Discussions” and “Create Group Assignments”.