For podcasts, we recommend students post audio files to Discussions. If the instructor sets up a topic, students can post their own podcast threads. Other students and the instructor can subscribe to those threads and will be notified when they are updated.
Set up the Discussion Topic
- In your course, click Communication.
- Click Discussions.
- Click New.
- Select Forum.
- Give the forum a name, like 'Podcasts'.
- Select Create a new topic in this forum with the same title.
- Add a description that includes directions.
- Select any options you want to apply to the forum. Note that any options or restrictions set at the forum level will cascade down to the topic level! We recommend selecting "Display forum description in topics" so directions are also shown on the topic screen when students click through the topic.
- Select visibility options for the forum.
- Select locking options for the forum.
- Click Save and Close.
Here is the forum and topic set up:
How It Works
Once you have a forum and topic set up, students can post to the topic. It is recommended they post a single thread, and update it with periodic podcast episodes throughout the length of the assignment. Other students and the instructor can subscribe to the thread, and will then receive notifications when the student posts a new episode to the thread.
How Students Can Post in the Topic
Each student should post one thread to the topic.
When they create their thread, they can either include their podcast recording file in the post, or add it as an attachment. This image below shows both ways the attachments show up.
In the post, they can add their file via Quicklink menu (OneDrive or URL if they placed the file on the Web).
Or if they add it as an attachment, they can either Upload their file or Record Audio.
Note that the Record Audio feature does not allow editing, and the recording can only be up to 3 minutes long. However, there is also an option to Upload a File in the Record Audio tool.
Students (and the instructor) can then subscribe to the thread.
When you click Subscribe, you will have different notification options.
When a student has a new epsiode to post, they can just reply to their own thread.
Every time the student updates the thread, such as with a new post containing the next podcast episode, those who subscribed will get a notification. In our case they received an email notification.